Search This Blog

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Not-So-Dirty Hippie: Update

I realized that I never updated you guys about my bath and beauty products! My bad.



A few months ago I mentioned that I've been swapping out "conventional" brands for more natural products--you know, since it's stuff I slather on my skin and hair and it makes sense to me to minimize the amount of chemicals seeping through my pores on a given day.



At last mention, I'd picked up some shampoo, conditioner, and bar soap from Trader Joe's.





I still love the conditioner, and Dan has actually started using and loving the bar soap. He still struggles with acne and oily skin, and the bar soap is drying without being harsh (which means I use it in the summer when I'm not struggling with dry skin as much). I can't use the soap on a daily basis because my skin is already dry, but I use it every so often because it's gentle and cheap.


On the other days, I actually use the shampoo as body wash because I love the tea tree oil and other great ingredients, and it leaves my skin feeling soft without feeling greasy.



My hair, however...is a whole other story.



I have thick, somewhat curly hair. It used to be super curly, but as I've gotten older the curls have softened. It has, however, always been dry. A friend suggested this crazy notion--using an apple cider vinegar wash instead of shampoo.



Whaaaaa?!



Yes.



So, I take an empty bottle (in my case, a finished bottle of TJ's conditioner 'cause I'm classy like that) and fill it about a quarter of the way with apple cider vinegar. Fill up the rest of the bottle with water. Rinse hair with the wash, then with plain water. (For about five minutes, since I now smell like apple cider vinegar.)



You guys, this has done wonders for me. I've had pretty bad dandruff since I was a teenager (I know, gross) and for the first time in over ten years, I have a healthy scalp. It's incredible. Plus, the ACV wash leaves my hair soft and super clean and shiny.



After my non-shampoo, I like to brush a little coconut oil into my hair in place of conditioner. Go easy on this part. A little goes a very long way.



I do this treatment (ACV + coconut oil) about once a week, and just use Trader Joe's conditioner every other day.



.....so, you be the judge. Does this make me a dirty hippie, or just a hippie?



No comments:

Post a Comment