Search This Blog

Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Work in Progress

One of the most exciting things about being a new teacher is essentially starting with a blank slate in your classroom. It's thrilling to walk in and envision everything you want to happen in that room--the bright decorations on the walls, the brilliantly unique work from the kids proudly displayed, and of course, students busily at work and engaged in the exciting lessons you've planned. 



But sometimes, before you get to that point, there is some organizing to do. 



I was lucky enough to inherit a very well-stocked classroom...meaning, the previous teacher left behind a lot of her resources and materials for me. This was a relief, since kindergarten is a very play-centric grade, and I was thankful to not need to buy toys and games for a whole classroom at once. 



However, as any teacher can tell you, each individual has their own way of organizing said materials. A new teacher coming into the old teacher's way of organizing can mean a lot of change and thus, a lot of work.



Thus, over the last week or so (plus a few scattered hours at the end of July), my classroom has gone from looking like this: 




This is actually after several hours of work in the "library." Those book bins are halfway sorted.

This is approximately where I started hyperventilating.

About halfway through the closet project. 

To looking like this. 


My first poster in my room! 

Still not done, but definite progress.



There's even room to grow! 


It's been a lot of hard work already, and I'm (clearly) nowhere near ready for students to come in, but progress is progress! I think I'm about ready to do the fun stuff! 



Bulletin boards, cubbies, name tags, posters....



...wait, aren't those things fun for you too? You mean you don't lie awake at night planning student work displays? 



So tell me, what DO you do with your end-of-summer? 

No comments:

Post a Comment